In Response to the Coronavirus
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
As we conclude an unusual Holy Week, I find peace in knowing that regardless of the uncertainty and chaos in the world, Easter is coming, God’s love is unwavering, and our salvation is secure.
Since Palmer Home’s doors opened in 1895, we’ve overcome many versions of crisis- from world wars to national economic depressions to devastating losses from illness and natural disasters. In fact, many children found their way to Palmer Home as a result of these historic catastrophes.
Each day, we work tirelessly to help the children in our care prevail over their unique crises of loss, abandonment, neglect or even abuse. Palmer Home provides restorative environments where children feel safe, connected and supported.
In response to COVID-19, we took swift action to protect the health and safety of the children and our staff.
- As of March 14, all children and caregivers living on our campus have been quarantined to the property
- No unauthorized visitors have been allowed on campus or in our offices
- All visits with biological families have been suspended and replaced with phone calls or video messaging
- Young adults in our transitional care program are following shelter in place guidelines
- Staff are working remotely, excluding essential positions
- All tours, volunteer groups and events have been postponed
As the past has taught us, we anticipate COVID-19 will result in an influx of children needing a place to call home. Many families across our nation were already on the brink of personal disaster- living paycheck to paycheck, overcome by alcohol or drug abuse or facing the consequences of bad decisions. Unfortunately, during the stresses and losses inflicted by this pandemic, many of these fragile situations will crumble.
Palmer Home stands ready to help. In fact, during this pandemic, we welcomed two brothers to our campus, and we are expecting another sibling group to join our family soon. God’s hand Is steady, and, with His providence, ours will be as well.
We thank you for your prayers and we ask for your continued support of our mission. We are 100% donation-based, so please consider a gift of any amount to help us say yes to the next child.
President & CEO