Help Us Have a Spot At the Table This Christmas
The Christmas season is a special time spent surrounded by family and loved ones. Cooking and enjoying special meals are some of the most cherished traditions that the holidays bring.
At Palmer Home, our children need a consistent and nurturing environment. Time together at the dinner table aﬃrms that, and it’s not something that happens just at Christmas, but all year long, thanks to donors like you.
Last November, we had a little boy named Timothy come into our care. He had come from a home with very little food, and repeatedly, we found that he was hoarding food, storing it in his pockets or under his bed. We reassured him that while he could keep food in his pocket, when he came to the table tomorrow there would be more food.
It took time, but eventually Timothy began to trust, as day after day the promise was fulﬁlled. He began to believe we would continue to provide for his most basic needs. That opened the door for him to trust us in other areas- emotionally, relationally and spiritually.
These breakthroughs would not be possible without your support. Your gifts provide children like Timothy the chance to heal, develop faith and be loved.
Please give today to ensure that we have a place at the table for the next child in need.
Your gift will give children like Timothy a chance to experience family this Christmas.
We are pleased to share a special recipe from our 2019 Holiday Cookbook.
We hope you are inspired to spend more time around the table with those you love. At the same time, we hope you will remember our table, and make a much-needed donation to continue to make these incredible life stories possible.
This Christmas we will celebrate the wonderful children in our care, but many more are waiting for their place at the table. Help us say yes! Make a gift to directly impact the life of a child longing to know peace, security and the love of Christ!
Recipe Contributed by Palmer Home board member, Kirby Dobbs Floyd
Mississippi Mud Cake
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup butter
4 ounces semisweet chocolate baking bar, chopped 2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 bag miniature marshmallows
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/3 cup milk
1 (16-oz.) package powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted.
- Microwave butter and semisweet chocolate in a large microwave-safe bowl on HIGH for 1 minute or until melted and smooth, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Whisk sugar, flour, cocoa, eggs, vanilla extract, and salt into chocolate mixture. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until puffed. Test with toothpick to make sure it is baked throughout. Sprinkle evenly with 2 cups miniature marshmallows and bake 8 to 10 more minutes or until golden.
- Drizzle warm cake with chocolate frosting and sprinkle with pecans.
- Stir butter, cocoa, and milk together in a medium saucepan over medium heat until butter is melted.
- Cook 2 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Beat in powdered sugar (for best results, sift the powdered sugar) and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until smooth.