Director of Development – Central and Southern Mississippi
Palmer Home provides superior care for children while introducing the love of God through our service to each individual child. Palmer Home ensures restorative environments where children feel safe, connected and supported. Each child served by Palmer Home has a safe place to call home with trustworthy, supportive adults to guide them as they grow and develop into all that God created them to be. Palmer Home provides holistic care to each child based on their unique physical, emotional, spiritual and educational needs.
Founded in 1895, Palmer Home for Children has empowered children for more than 125 years in critical situations to reach their true potential by providing restorative environments that support healthy development and nurture resilience. The mission of Palmer Home for Children is to provide superior care for children while introducing the love of God through service to each individual child. Palmer Home for Children ensures restorative environments where children feel safe, connected, and supported.
Palmer Home for Children seeks to help vulnerable children overcome trauma and position them to thrive in home, school, and community life in their proprietary approach to care known as the Whole Child Initiative. Children with a history of trauma have unique physical, emotional, social, educational, and spiritual needs that must be addressed before they can overcome their trauma. Whole Child Initiative allows the caregivers at Palmer Home for Children to meet these needs so children can heal, grow, and thrive.
In 2021, Palmer Home for Children served 250 children through 4 service programs – campus care, family care, foster care, and transitional care. The annual budget is approximately $6 million.
The Director of Development for Central and Southern Mississippi needs to be an experienced fundraiser with four or more years of fundraising experience. This position reports to the Vice President of Development and is responsible for raising vital financial resources, community awareness and volunteer involvement for Palmer Home for Children.
This position has a broad scope of responsibility within the geographic area of Central and Southern Mississippi including the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of individuals, businesses, churches, foundations, and other community partners that have interest in supporting the work of Palmer Home for Children. He or she will develop and maintain relationships with current supporters while also identifying prospective donors and volunteers.
The Director of Development will exhibit strong strategic thinking abilities and have the creative drive needed to seek new avenues of funding for this organization. The position requires the ability to work independently and travel within the defined geographic area.
This position will work remotely (from home) in Central or Southern Mississippi with travel throughout the surrounding counties, with occasional travel throughout Tennessee, Mississippi, and other states.
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 150 donors/prospects with a minimum requirement of 150 meetings annually.
- Meet face to face with donors and prospects.
- Support and assist the Development office with fundraising strategies.
- Proactively build relationships with new sources of support while strengthening relationships with current donors to further their loyalty and encourage higher levels of support and involvement.
- Lead the strategy in the assigned geographic area for approaching corporations, foundations, and grant programs including researching, developing and overseeing proposals, tracking and compliance, report writing and acknowledgments.
- Secure sponsorships for fundraising special events.
- Generate new corporate and foundation revenue with local, state and regional partners through corporate giving programs, employee/volunteer engagement opportunities, etc.
- Enlist, as appropriate, Board members, the President of Palmer Home for Children, and other staff, to assist in major gift fundraising.
- Develop stewardship plans and activities for donors and ensure proper acknowledgement and recognition of their support.
- Serve as the point of contact for third-party fundraising inquiries and events.
- Maintain a current knowledge of the tools and techniques relating to major gift fundraising.
- Represent Palmer Home for Children in the community be attending and speaking to local civic groups, chamber programs, school and church groups and effectively communicating the organization’s mission, vision, programs and impact.
- Demonstrate ability and willingness to provide support in a collaborative and team- oriented manner.
- Effectively communicate on a regular basis to the Vice President of Development the current status of fundraising in the Central and Southern Mississippi region.
- Participate in special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations or a related field
- Minimum of 4 years of applicable experience
- Must be in agreement with the Palmer Home for Children Statement of Christian Beliefs and demonstrate a strong commitment to Christ consistent with the mission of Palmer Home status as a non-profit religious organization
- Demonstrated success in fundraising
- Strong capabilities in planning and organizing
- Able to work independently and collaboratively
- Excellent written, oral, presentation and interpersonal communication skills
- Able to work successfully with all constituent groups including staff, Board, volunteers, donors, program participants and other supporters
- Enjoy creating and implementing new initiatives
- A strategist who can anticipate and support the needs of both internal and external audiences
- Be goal driven and possess a high degree of creativity, motivation, maturity and energy
- Preference given to individuals residing in Central or Southern Mississippi
- Palmer Home offers a competitive total compensation package. Salary consideration is commensurate with experience.
Location and Compensation
Palmer Home for Children’s administrative offices are located in Hernando, Mississippi. This position will work remotely (from home) in Central or Southern Mississippi with travel throughout the surrounding counties and occasional travel throughout Tennessee, Mississippi, and other states.
This is a full-time position. Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, 401K plan with match, basic life insurance, long term disability, vacation, and sick time. A company vehicle is provided.
Palmer Home for Children prohibits discrimination and harassment based on sex, race, color, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or employee genetic information (as described in GINA) or any other status protected by state or federal law.
The search for the Director of Development – Central and Southern Mississippi is being conducted by The Moran Company.
To apply for this position, submit a cover letter and resume to Becky Hauk, The Moran Company. Resume should be chronological and include all professional education and experience, dates of employment (month and year), position/title, and organization names.
You can mail your cover letter, resumé and testimony to:
Attn: Human Resources
Palmer Home for Children
PO Box 746
Columbus, MS 39703