Palmer Home for Children is expanding our mission to rescue and restore as many vulnerable children as possible. Founded in 1895, our ministry strives to reflect the hope and love of Christ by providing a stable, long-term Christ-centered home for children who lack an adequate family structure. We are a well established non-profit ministry with residential campuses in Columbus and Hernando, Mississippi. Our ministry is sustained through a combination of generous individual donors, foundations, events, churches, and businesses.
Houseparents care for children in a residential setting and use a professional, team-oriented, trauma-informed approach to provide a safe, healing, homelike environment. Palmer Home is currently seeking married husband and wife Christian couples to provide compassion and daily supervision. Houseparents manage homes of six to eight children and support the Whole Child Initiative (http://wholechildinitiative.org/), nurturing each child educationally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually. The ideal couple should be mature, responsible, ministry minded and mission driven.
Job Type: Full-time
Location of opening(s): Columbus and Hernando, Mississippi
Required experience: Prior experience working with children: 3 years
Required license or certification: Drivers License
- Ensure each child’s basic physical needs are met: adequate nutrition, a clean, sanitary home environment; appropriate clothing; healthy amounts of physical exercise; and doctor visits as needed.
- Work with the social services staff and school personnel to ensure that each child is achieving their educational goals.
- Provide accurate and insightful feedback to the social services staff and any therapist working with each child. Assist in the implementation of care plans.
- Effectively manage household budget and ensure all funds are being wisely spent.
- Mentor children through our work program and help them develop into reliable workers with good independent living skills.
- In cooperation with other caregivers and facilities staff, help maintain a beautiful campus living environment.
- Whole Child Initiative certification and continued training
- Active participation in a local church, and modeling Christian values at all times.
- Subscription to and integration of the Palmer Home’s Statement of Faith in Jesus Christ
- A husband and wife couple willing to live in a close knit community that works together as a team.
- Prior experience working with children
- Able and willing to work in homes of either gender and any age group (0-21)
- An ability to understand and implement care plans.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree preferred.
- Must legally be able to work in the United States and pass a criminal background check.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and good driving record.
- Must be physically able to meet the basic needs of children under care.
- English language proficiency required.
- Must demonstrate flexibility and understanding due to unforeseen circumstances and multiple roles required in daily activity.
- Competitive salary and sign-on bonus
- Available Day 1: Palmer Home offers affordable insurance to our employees (and their dependent family members) which includes the following: Medical, Dental, Vision, Supplemental Policies (cancer, accident, critical illness) and a Flexible Spending account (FSA). Selected coverages begin on Day 1.
- Effective Day 1: Life and AD&D insurance: 2x annual salary 100% paid by Palmer Home
- Effective Day 1: Long-Term Disability (LTD): 60% of salary, 100% paid by Palmer Home
- Paid holidays (9)
- Paid vacation: you will begin accruing vacation upon hire.
- Paid sick time to care for yourself or an immediate family member (accrues at 1 full day for each month of employment up to 90 days max annual carryover). You begin accruing sick time upon hire.
- Participation in Palmer Home’s matching 401(k) plan (100% up to 7%). You can elect to participate after 6 months of employment.
- 100% Paid housing, utilities, transportation and food.
- Paid “relief” time: In addition to paid vacation and holidays, Caregivers are on a set rotation in their assigned cottage and are provided paid “relief” time away from campus (free housing provided). The rotation consists of 3 weeks direct caregiving to their children followed by 1 week of relief time off.
- Relocation assistance
- Longevity bonuses
- Employee assistance program
Please e-mail your resume and testimony to email@example.com.
You may also mail your resume to Chris Dickey, Palmer Home for Children, PO Box 746, Columbus, MS 39703.